Sunday, July 16, 2017

Week 5: The Dangers of Working

I like working.

I like having a desk, I like paperwork, I like taking a problem and fixing it.

But...I only have so much energy. Not in the sense of some diagnosed ailment or a mental block, but physically and psychically and spiritually, when I work full time, I end up giving most of what I am at work. In a way that's good because I help people and usually do a good job.

In a bigger way that's bad because there's none of me left for my little family. Even though there's only three of us, one is autistic and needs a lot of my psychic energy for reassurance and relies on my calmness to help him through storms. The other one had a transplant and has plenty of his own psychic energy but only has so much physical energy, so I need to make sure I'm not relying on him to carry me through household chores.

Spiritually, then I start beating myself up over not being "there" enough for my family. Even though I've done it at times, I don't have to work full time right now.  Occasionally, I take on a longer term job, like covering the desk at church full time this week.  That's long enough to remind me why I don't work full time and why I'm so grateful that I don't HAVE to work full time right now.

That said...

Food: We are trying Slow Cooker Sausage and Chicken today over egg noodles. It smells yummy. We're also having a chocolate cobbler (like a depression cake or, for you Great British Baking Show fans, a self-saucing pudding.

Family: My little brother returns from a trip to Canada, Less Little Brother comes for a trip after passing his dissertation defense, and everyone relaxes after a week of working.

Faith: No big days this week, just continuing in Ordinary Time. Continuing to color a big timeline of the Plan of God.

Next week should be better because I'll be more rested!

No comments:

Post a Comment