Thursday, September 24, 2026

Thursday the 24th: Food of the Week

 *Tomorrow will be crunchy pork chops. Speaking of which, let me go get the pork out of the deep freeze...

*And back. Today I've already started ropa vieja in the slow cooker. I'm using skirt steak for flank, and I'm hoping it will still turn out okay. I will omit the olives, and we're using pasta instead of rice.

*Last night I made honey-mustard chicken sandwiches.  They were fine, but Aldi's chicken tends to be spongy and have too much moisture to take a glaze well. We also had peaches, leftover coleslaw, and thin fries.

*On Tuesday the Son made french toast from the Betty Crocker Cookbook. His skillet skills on the gas stove are improving; he cut the bread a little thick, but we adjusted and he rounded out the meal with some sausage patties. I think I got four meal parts out of that one bag of sausage patties, so that was a good deal.

*Monday we had sheet pan gnocchi with sausage and peppers.  This time I sprinkled on parmesan rather than tossing it with the gnocchi and oil, and I think it turned out much more even. This dish is always one of our favorites.

*Sunday we had runzas from my mom and then a reuben sandwich kit from Zingerman's. Both were delicious. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment